Thursday, December 8, 2011

Shutting down the gossip blog.

This will be the last post.  I've now written over 3,000 updates from the gossip rags and I've come to an unmistakable conclusion.

I am not their target audience and I never will be.

This wasn't the worst hobby I ever tried, but I've grown tired of it and you can get what I put on the Internet through other sources who really are interested in this silly stuff.

What have I learned in two years.

These magazines lie a lot.  I knew that already, but it's really obvious when you read it week after week and keep track of verifiable stuff, most notably people being born and people dying.

These magazines are waaaay too interested in reality TV.  They like this stuff and I hated it even when I had a TV.  I thought there might be a backlash against the Kardashians after the sham marriage, but no such luck.  It's the old adage "There is no such thing as bad publicity."  And looking at the headlines from this week that I won't be posting, Teen Mom must be coming back on soon, judging by a slew of stories in several magazines about Leah.

I'm a middle aged heterosexual male, which makes me about the last person they expect to read this stuff.  I might add that I'm college educated and from the West Coast.  There are a couple of gossip rags that tend to skew older and more Southern than I am and the others skew younger and with a more feminine perpsective.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented, especially Karen Zipdrive.  I'll leave the blog up as a reference but I won't be adding any more stories.

I no longer keep tab of the tabs.  If you are interested, you'll have to do the legwork yourself.



6 comments:

Zoey and Me said...

I think it would have been better, as a hobby, if you let on to what their story said or some conclusion. The teasers were fun to read but I always had to find out what happened somewhere else. I don't follow the rags but you did make them far more interesting than the actual story, once read.

Padre Mickey said...

It was an interesting experiment, Matty Boy!

sfmike said...

Oh, good. I can feel clean again, not having to wade through the trash. Plus, if those mean Google people won't let you make money with this sheeit, why bother? Welcome back from the dark side, Matty Boy.

Matty Boy said...

Zoey&Me: I started with a premise just to put all the covers together. My feeling was that everybody went to the grocery store and even if we didn't read this crap, we saw the headlines. I really didn't want to read the stories and if you have to do a lot of shit you don't want to do, it kind of defeats the purpose of a hobby.

Padre: Thanks. I learned some stuff, but I'm glad to be out of it.

sfmike: I'm glad to be back from the dark side. I'm starting a new hobby and I have a new blog about it. I'll talk to you more about it soon.

Lulu Maude said...

Good fun, MattyBoy, but your wit and wisdom are better used elsewhere.

Thanks for gagging down the tabloids for a couple of years... I used to read them at my mom's house(only after Alz. disease commandeered her brain), but I do wish better things for you.

Enjoy your marbles while you have them!

Nelly Frittata said...

I agree with SFMike. I used to visit the blog and click on your ad links just to put a few nickels in your pocket even though I had absolutely no interest in the gossip rags. I agree with everyone else, your intellect is better off focused elsewhere.